At Liberty Doctors, we are committed to supporting women’s health and educating our patients about breast cancer. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a time to raise awareness about breast cancer, its prevention, early detection, and treatment.
Breast cancer is a disease that occurs when cells in the breast tissue grow uncontrollably. It can affect both men and women, although it is more commonly diagnosed in women. While the exact causes of breast cancer are not fully understood, certain risk factors such as age, genetics, and hormonal factors can increase the likelihood of developing the disease.
The Importance of Early Detection
Early detection is key to improving the chances of successful treatment and survival. Regular breast cancer screening and self-exams are crucial components of early detection.
- Breast Self-Exams: Women of all ages should perform regular breast self-exams to become familiar with the normal look and feel of their breasts. If you notice any changes, such as lumps, dimpling, nipple changes, or skin abnormalities, contact your healthcare provider promptly.
- Clinical Breast Exams: Your healthcare provider can conduct clinical breast exams during your regular check-ups. These exams help detect any abnormalities or changes in your breast tissue.
- Mammography: Mammograms are X-ray images of the breast tissue and are one of the most effective tools for detecting breast cancer at an early stage. Women should discuss their mammography schedule with their healthcare provider based on their age and risk factors.
Breast Cancer Prevention
While there is no guaranteed way to prevent breast cancer, there are several lifestyle choices and risk reduction strategies that can help lower your risk:
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and regular exercise.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Don’t smoke.
- Breastfeed if possible, as it may reduce breast cancer risk.
- Discuss your family history with your Liberty Doctors provider
Breast Cancer Awareness Month a reminder of the importance of breast health and early detection. Liberty Doctors is here to support you; if you have any questions about breast health, screening, or prevention, please contact us.